The International Association of Economic and Social Councils and Similar Institutions (AICESIS)
Founded in 1999, AICESIS comprises nearly 60 members from four continents (Africa, Latin America, Asia and Europe).
AICESIS has the following missions:
- To encourage and promote dialogue and an exchange of views and good practices between its members and, at a wider level, encourage dialogue between economic and social partners around the world;
- To help the development of the consultative function, the strengthening of social and civil dialogue and, more generally, the development of participatory democracy and the role of the social partners and other components of civil society, as essential factors in a genuine, sustainable democratisation and efficient governance of modern societies;
- To encourage the creation of ESCs in countries which do not yet possess them through the organisation of meetings, advising activities and the popularisation of the added value of these advisory bodies;
- To organise contributions of its members, to represent them in international organisations such as the International Labour Organisation (ILO) and the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC), where it acts with a permanent observer status, and to participate in debates in these frameworks;
- Last, in a wider context, to contribute to the prosperity and economic development of the population in accordance with the principles of the United Nations and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, as well as the Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work endorsed by all members of the ILO.